Recently builderonline.com had a feature that explored what the kitchen of the future might look like. It was a pretty broad (global, in fact) look at what tomorrow’s kitchens will be like. In the article (which you can read here), they highlighted five key trends:
- Technology: (Connectivity and smart appliances)
- Sustainability: (Eco-efficiency and locally sourced products)
- Space for Personal Health and Well-being
- Professionalism: (Professional-grade cooking in domestic kitchens)
- Multi-purpose Space: (For family interaction and leisure)
You can also click here to view a short video instead.
It’s a pretty interesting look at how people from around the world see the kitchen (which they all still consider to be the heart of the home) evolving. But what about the kitchen in your new Texas Hill Country home? What will that look like? What should you focus on to make sure you’re as delighted with your kitchen in the future as you are when it’s completed? Here are some things to consider.
- Trends: Being aware of trends doesn’t necessarily mean choosing the “hot” new color. Real trends are about things that have changed to make life easier, more convenient, and more comfortable. It’s really more about the design of the space than merely about décor. Here’s a post that talks about design trends—and specifically a couple that you may want to stay away from.
- Focus on the Essentials: In line with keeping an eye on trends, you’ll also want to focus your attention on the things that are essential to creating a great kitchen. Those would include functionality; cooking comfort; adequate seating; and overall space in the kitchen. Here’s an article that goes into more depth about those essentials.
- Make it About You: Your kitchen isn’t just any room. It may well be one room in your house where you spend the most time when you’re not sleeping. Not only is it the room your family uses and sees all the time, but it’s also one of the rooms friends will see a lot of. It should reflect your personality. So how can you make that happen? Here’s an article that talks about discovering what kind of kitchen fits your personal lifestyle.
- Chose the Right Materials: Details do matter when it comes to your kitchen, and that includes choosing the right materials for your kitchen. That includes selecting the kind of flooring material that best suits your lifestyle and sense of taste. It includes picking out cabinet material that goes with the overall theme of your kitchen. And it means choosing countertop material that delivers what you want in terms of visual beauty and durability. Here’s a more in-depth look at how to select the countertop materials that are best for your kitchen.
Kitchen technology will continue to evolve. There will be new applications, new devices, and new appliances. The kitchen of the future will encompass all of those. But our prediction is that the kitchen of the future will continue to be the center of activity for the home. So make sure you pay extra attention to the things that will make it inviting, comfortable, and welcoming.